사회/문화
인천 근현대사...과거의 흔적 고스란히 남아있는 역사적 장소 찾아보기
인천시 & 시립박물관 학생 및 성인 대상 도보 답사프로그램 인기
기사입력: 2022/09/29 [12:59]  최종편집: ⓒ ebreaknews.com
박상도 기자
트위터 페이스북 카카오톡
필자의 다른기사 보기 인쇄하기 메일로 보내기 글자 크게 글자 작게

(브레이크뉴스인천 박상도 기자) 인천은 근현대 산업·문화유산이 그득한 보물창고다.


제물포항이 일본으로부터 강제 개항된 것은 1883년. 부산항(1876년)과 원산항(1881) 보다 개항이 늦었던 제물포가 국제항으로 발돋움 할 수 있었던 것은 개항과 함께 일본과 중국을 비롯한 각국공동 조계지가 설치되면서다.


이들을 중심으로 각국의 상공업시설과 종교·교육·문화시설들이 빠르게 설립됐으며 인천이 각 나라의 여러 문물이 인천이라는 도시를 통해 들어와 전국으로 퍼졌다.


우리나라 최초의 서양식호텔과 최초의 서양식 공원, 최초의 근대식 등대 등 인천에 각종‘최초’의 수식어가 붙는 연유도 여기에 있다.


개천절을 포함한 이번 연휴, 100년이 넘는 역사의 시간을 타박타박 걸으며 만나보는 건 어떨까?


◇ 인천에 조성된 군수공업지대


중일전쟁이 시작되면서 일본의 조선공업화 정책은 속도가 붙기 시작했다.


전쟁에 필요한 군수품을 조달하는데 일본 본토보다 한반도가 유리하다고 생각한 일본은 만석·화수·송현동 일대와 용현·학익동 일대, 그리고 부평 지역을 군수공업지대로 조성해갔다.


당시 부천군에 속해있던 용현·학익동 일대를 인천부에 편입시켰다.


항만과 철도를 갖추고 있고 조선 제일의 도시인 경성에서 가까운 인천과 부평이 군수공장을 비록한 중공업단지를 건설하는데 최적지로 여겨졌던 것이다.


전기 및 기계 제조업체와 금속강판 제조회사·군용트럭 제조사가 부평 평야지대에 들어서고, 제국제마·히타치 제작소·경성화학 등의 대형 공장이 용현과 학익동 일대에 채워졌지만 지금은 그 터만을 짐작할 수 있을 뿐 당시를 회고할만한 어떤 형체도 남아있지 않다.


단 부평에 설치된 일본육군 인천조병창만이 공장 터와 일부 건물이 남아있다.


▲ 캠프마켓 –일본육군 인천조병창(인천 부평구 산곡3동 449)


1931년 만주사변 이후 계속되는 전쟁으로 병기와 군수품의 보급이 절실해진 일본육군은 무기 공장인 조병창을 증설했고, 1941년 5월5일 그 일환으로 부평에도 인천육군조병창이 만들어졌다.
 

인천육군조병창에서는 매달 소총 4000정과 총점 2만정, 소총 탄환 70만발, 포탄 3만발, 군도 2000정, 차량 200량 등을 생산했으며 제2차 세계대전 기간 동안 일본군의 전쟁 물자를 조달했던 대표적인 병기창으로 자리매김했다.


해방 이후 일본군이 떠난 부평조병창과 인근부지로 미군이 주둔했고, 6.25 직후 7개의 지원부대가 모여들어 그 일대를 애스컴(Army Service Command·군사지원부대) 시티라 불렀다.


지금은 주변 부대들이 철수하고 조병창의 핵심구역에 위치한 ‘캠프마켓‘만이 남아있으며 지난 2019년 빵공장을 제외한 나머지 구역이 한국 정부에 반환되면서 2020년 80여 년의 긴 장벽을 깨고 시민들에게 개방했다.
 

인천시는 캠프마켓의 반환과 일부구역 개방에 맞춰 지역 사회의 관심을 높이고, 다양한 의견 수렴을 위한 시민 참여프로그램을 진행 중이다.


사전 예약을 통해 80여 년간 단절된 가슴 아픈 역사와 개방 구역 내의 잔존 건물 및 시설물의 용도와 역할 등에 관한 설명을 들을 수도 있다.
 

▲ 부평 지하호 (인천 부평구 산곡1·3동 일대)


제2차 세계대전이 끝을 향해가던 1945년 초 일본 육군은 거세지던 미군의 공습을 피해 상시적으로 안전하게 무기를 생산하기 위해 각 조병창의 공장시설을 지하에 건설하는 지하호 건설계획을 수립한다.


부평의 인천조병창도 부평구 산곡동과 서구 가좌동에 걸쳐있는 함봉산의 지하로 소총과 실탄 생산 시설을 옮기려는 계획을 세운다.


함봉산 자락을 모두 네 개 구역으로 나누어 지하 구조물을 건설하려 했으나 공사가 완료되기 전 광복이 되면서 실제 터널에서 무기가 생산되지는 않았던 것으로 보인다.


인천과 부평은 물론 주변 도시의 학생들로 이뤄진 근로보국대가 한 달 이상 터널 굴착에 동원됐으나, 이들에게는 보수가 지급되지 않았다.


부평 지하호는 대부분 방치되거나 일부 새우젓 저장고 등으로 활용되던 중 2015년 부평문화원에 의해 역사적 의미가 알려졌으며, 지금까지 모두 24개의 지하호가 확인됐다.


부평문화원은 매달 마지막 주 금요일, 부평지하호를 직접 걸으며 체험해 보는 C-6 지하호 탐방 프로그램을 진행 중으로, 사전예약을 통해 참여할 수 있다.


◇ 100년 전 개항장 기행


지금의 인천은 1883년 제물포 개항으로부터 시작됐다.


수 백 년 동안 한적한 어촌으로 존속해왔던 제물포는 개항 이후 각국의 조계가 들어서며 국제적 도시사회로 탈바꿈하기 시작했다.


선진문물을 받아들여 국제도시로 발전하는 계기가 된 개항은 우리의 국권을 상실하고 우리 민족의 시련을 수반하는 결정적 계기가 되기도 했다. 


청일전쟁과 러일전쟁을 치르면서 한국에서의 우월적 지위를 확보한 일본은 우선 제물포와 한성을 잇는 도로와 철도(1899)를 부설하고, 이들과 연계되는 항만을 확장·수축(1906)했다.


이어 일본의 식량과 공업원료를 확보하기 위해 토지조사사업과 산미증식계획, 수리조합 설립 등을 추진했으며 이 과정에서 인천은 다른 지역에 앞서 많은 토지와 인력을 수탈당했으며 대부분의 농민이 몰락했다.
 
▲ 제물포 구락부 (인천 중구 자유공원남로 25)


제물포 구락부는 인천에 거주하던 외국인들의 사교모임 장소로 사용하기 위해 지은 건물이다.


1876년 병자수호조규로 제물포항이 개항된 후, 인천에 거주하는 독일·미국·러시아·일본 등 외국인이 1891년 사교구락부를 발족시킴으로써 건립됐다.


원래 사교구락부의 건물은 다른 곳에 있었으나, 1901년에 현재의 건물을 짓고 회관을 이곳으로 옮겼다. 2층 양옥 구조의 벽돌 건물로 지붕은 양철이다.


내부는 사교실·도서실·당구대·식당 등 각종 시설을 두루 갖추었으며, 건물 외부에 당시로는 드물게 테니스 코트를 설치하는 등 사교 모임에 적합한 시설로 꾸며졌다.


1913년 일본제국 재향군인회 인천연합회 소속의 정방각으로 불리다가, 1934년 일본부인회, 광복직후에는 미군사병구락부, 1952년부터는 시의회·교육청·박물관이 함께 사용하는 등 여러 차례 용도가 변경됐다.


2007년 6월 리모델링 작업을 거쳐 구)제물포구락부의 모습을 복원해 스토리텔링박물관으로 운영되고 있다.


▲ 성공회내동성당 (인천 중구 개항로 45번길 21-32)


1890년 요한 신부에 의해 건립된 한국 최초의 성공회 교회다.


1891년 9월 30일에 준공된 교회의 건축 면적은 2,056.7㎡이며, 건물 형태는 지붕의 목조트러스를 제외하고는 외벽과 주요 부재는 화강암으로 견고하게 쌓아올린 중세풍의 석조이다.


일부 한국의 전통적인 목구조 처마양식을 가미하였으며, 창호 및 벽체 부분의 처리가 뛰어나다.


1902년에는 한때 러시아 영사관으로 이용되었고, 1904년부터 1956년까지는 성공회신학원으로 운영되었으며, 현재는 성공회성당으로 쓰이고 있다. 인천상륙작전 당시 일부 파괴되었던 것을 수리해 1955년까지 황해중학교로 이용되기도 했고, 부속건물의 일부는 인천소년군의 본부로 사용되기도 했다.

▲ 대불호텔 (인천 중구 신포로 23번길 101)


우리나라 최초의 호텔로 1888년(고종 25) 일본인 호리에 의해 세워졌다.


우리나라에 호텔이 생기기 시작한 것은 1880년대 서양인들의 내왕이 빈번해지면서부터다.


경인선(京仁線)이 개통되기 전, 인천에 도착한 외국인들은 대개 하루 이상 인천에 머물러야 했기 때문에 인천에 우리나라 최초의 호텔이 생긴 것이다.


최근 연구에 따르면 호리는 1883년 말에서 1884년 초에 2층 일본식 목조건물에서 호텔영업을 시작했고, 1888년에 이르러 벽돌조 3층 건물을 새로 세워 이전했다고 한다.


대불호텔은 객실 수가 11개에 불과했으나, 외국인의 이용이 잦았다.  개점 이후 성황을 이루었지만 1899년 경인철도가 개통되면서 영업이 어려워졌다.


한편, 1907년 발간된 ‘재한실업가명감’과 1909년 발행된 연하장에 호텔이 도원동 소재 공장에서 술을 만들던 도합명회사의 인천지점 영업장으로 소개된 것으로 보아 이때부터 대불호텔의 기능이 숙박기능 중심에서 식음중심으로 바뀐 것으로 보인다.


이후 중국 음식점으로 사용되던 호텔은 1978년 철거됐다.


현재는 그 자리에 대불호텔 전시관이 들어서 당시 호텔의 건축양식과 호텔 서비스 및 대불호텔의 역사에 대해 알아 볼 수 있다.


이밖에도 인천개항박물관에서는 개항기 인천을 통해 처음 도입됐거나 인천에서 발생한 근대문화와 관련한 선별된 유물 669점을 전시하고 있다.


인천개항박물관은 1899년 건립된 일본제1은행 인천지점 건물에 조성됐다.
 

한편, 인천시립박물관은 인천 곳곳의 문화유산과 숨은 역사 길을 찾아나서는 도보 답사프로그램, ‘타박타박 인천’을 꾸준히 개발, 선보이고 있다.


학예사의 전문적인 설명과 함께 문화유산을 직접 눈으로 보고 느낄 수 있는 기회로, 20세 이상의 인천 시민이면 누구나 참여 가능하다.


매년 상반기와 하반기 2차례 시민을 대상으로 진행한 도보 답사프로그램은 올부터 공직자를 대상으로 확대 진행한다.


또, 인천시는 초등학생과 중학생을 대상으로 하는 ‘인천 문화유산 도모탐방’프로그램을 지난 9월부터 11월까지 총 10차례에 걸쳐 진행한
다.


근대개항 도시로서의 인천의 가치를 재발견하고, 오랜 역사를 바탕으로 한 인천 고유의 특색을 느껴볼 수 있는 생생한 체험 기회가 될 이번 탐방에서는, 중구 개항장, 미추홀구·연수구 박물관 등과 강화군 일대의 역사문화 유적지를 역사·지리 전문가와의 해설과 함께 둘러볼 수 있다.


*아래는 위 기사를 ‘구글 번역’으로 번역한 영문 기사의 [전문]입니다.‘구글번역’은 이해도 높이기를 노력하고 있습니다. 영문 번역에 오류가 있을 수 있음을 전제로 합니다. <*The following is the [full text] of the English article translated by 'Google Translate'. 'Google Translate' is trying to improve understanding. It is assumed that there may be errors in the English translation.>


Incheon's modern and contemporary history...Find historical places where traces of the past remain intact
Incheon City & City Museum’s popular walking tour program for students and adults
-Break News Incheon Reporter Park Sang-do


Incheon is a treasure trove of modern and modern industrial and cultural heritage.


Jemulpo Port was forcibly opened from Japan in 1883. Jemulpo, which opened later than Busan Port (1876) and Wonsan Port (1881), was able to develop into an international port because of the opening of the port and the establishment of a joint concession between Japan and China.


Centered on these, commercial and industrial facilities and religious, educational, and cultural facilities of each country were quickly established.


The first Western-style hotel in Korea, the first Western-style park, and the first modern-style lighthouse are also the reason why various 'firsts' are attached to Incheon.


This holiday, including National Foundation Day, how about walking through the history of more than 100 years?


◇ Military industrial zone in Incheon


With the onset of the Sino-Japanese War, Japan's shipbuilding industrialization policy began to accelerate.


Considering that the Korean Peninsula was more advantageous than the Japanese mainland in procurement of munitions necessary for war, Japan developed the Manseok, Hwasu, and Songhyeon-dong areas, Yonghyeon and Hakik-dong areas, and the Bupyeong area as a military industrial zone.


Yonghyeon and Hakik-dong, which were part of Bucheon-gun at that time, were incorporated into Incheon-bu.


Incheon and Bupyeong, which have ports and railroads and are close to Gyeongseong, the largest city in Joseon, have military factories, and were considered the best places to build a heavy industry complex.


Electric and mechanical manufacturers, metal steel plate manufacturers, and military truck manufacturers entered the Bupyeong plain area, and large factories such as Jegeukma, Hitachi Works, and Gyeongseong Chemical were filled in Yonghyeon and Hakik-dong, but now only the site can be guessed. No form remains to recall.


However, only the Japanese Army’s Incheon Arsenal installed in Bupyeong remains the factory site and some buildings.


▲ Camp Market – Japanese Army Incheon Arsenal (449 Sangok 3-dong, Bupyeong-gu, Incheon)


The Japanese Army, in desperate need of supplying weapons and munitions due to the ongoing war after the Manchurian Incident in 1931, expanded the weapons factory, the Arsenal, and on May 5, 1941, the Incheon Army Arsenal was built in Bupyeong as a part.
 

The Incheon Army Arsenal produced 4000 rifles, 20,000 total points, 700,000 rifle bullets, 30,000 shells, 2,000 archipelago, and 200 vehicles every month. set up


After liberation, the U.S. military was stationed at the Bupyeong Arsenal and the nearby site where the Japanese left the Japanese army. Immediately after 6.25, 7 support units gathered and called the area Ascom (Army Service Command) City.


Now, the surrounding units have withdrawn and only the 'Camp Market' located in the core area of ​​the arsenal remains. In 2019, except for the bread factory, the rest of the area was returned to the Korean government, breaking the 80-year-old barrier and opening it to the public in 2020.
 

In line with the return of the camp market and the opening of some areas, Incheon City is raising the interest of the local community and is conducting a citizen participation program to collect various opinions.


You can also hear explanations about the painful history that has been cut off for over 80 years and the uses and roles of the remaining buildings and facilities in the open area through advance reservations.
 

▲ Bupyeong Underground Lake (around Sangok 1-3-dong, Bupyeong-gu, Incheon)


In early 1945, when World War II was coming to an end, the Japanese Army established an underground lake construction plan to build underground factory facilities at each arsenal to avoid intensifying US airstrikes and safely produce weapons at all times.


Bupyeong's Incheon Arsenal also plans to move the rifle and live ammunition production facilities to the basement of Mt. Hambong, which spans Sangok-dong, Bupyeong-gu and Gajwa-dong, Seo-gu.


It was attempted to construct an underground structure by dividing the foot of Hambongsan into four zones, but it seems that weapons were not actually produced in the tunnel as the country was liberated before the construction was completed.


The Labor Patriots Corps, made up of students from Incheon and Bupyeong as well as neighboring cities, was mobilized to excavate the tunnel for more than a month, but no remuneration was paid to them.


While most of the Bupyeong Underground Lakes were neglected or used as a storage for salted shrimp, the historical significance was revealed by the Bupyeong Cultural Center in 2015, and a total of 24 underground lakes have been identified so far.


On the last Friday of every month, the Bupyeong Cultural Center is conducting a C-6 Underground Lake Exploration Program where you can walk and experience the Bupyeong Underground Lake, and you can participate through advance reservations.


◇ Journey to the port opening 100 years ago


The present-day Incheon began with the opening of Jemulpo Port in 1883.


Jemulpo, which had existed as a secluded fishing village for hundreds of years, began to transform into an international urban society after the opening of the port.


The opening of the port, which became an opportunity to develop into an international city by accepting advanced cultures, was also a decisive opportunity that resulted in the loss of our national sovereignty and the ordeal of our people.


Japan, which secured a superior position in Korea during the Sino-Japanese War and the Russo-Japanese War, first built a road and railroad (1899) connecting Jemulpo and Hanseong, and expanded and contracted ports connected with them (1906).


Subsequently, in order to secure Japan's food and industrial raw materials, land survey projects, acid and rice breeding plans, and the establishment of water associations were promoted.
 
▲ Jemulpo Gurakbu (25 Jayu Park Nam-ro, Jung-gu, Incheon)


Jemulpo Gurakbu is a building built to be used as a social gathering place for foreigners living in Incheon.


After the port of Jemulpo was opened in 1876 due to the provision of protection for the sick, it was established in 1891 by foreigners living in Incheon, including Germany, the United States, Russia, and Japan.


Originally, the building of the social club was located elsewhere, but in 1901 the current building was built and the hall was moved to this place. It is a two-story Western-style brick building with a tin roof.


The interior is equipped with various facilities such as a social class room, library, billiard table, and restaurant, and a tennis court was installed outside the building, which was rare at the time, making it suitable for social gatherings.


In 1913, it was called Jeongbanggak belonging to the Incheon Federation of Veterans Association of the Japanese Empire, but its use has been changed several times, such as being used by the Japanese Women's Association in 1934, the U.S. Military Club immediately after liberation, and by the city council, the Office of Education, and the museum from 1952.


After remodeling in June 2007, the former Jemulpo Gurakbu was restored and operated as a storytelling museum.


▲ Sungkonghoe Naedong Cathedral (21-32, Gaehang-ro 45beon-gil, Jung-gu, Incheon)


Built in 1890 by Father John, it is the first Anglican church in Korea.


Constructed on September 30, 1891, the building area of ​​the church is 2,056.7 m2. Except for the wooden truss of the roof, the exterior walls and main members are made of granite and solidly stacked in medieval style stonework.


Some of the traditional wooden eaves style of Korea is added, and the processing of windows and walls is excellent.


In 1902, it was once used as a Russian consulate, and from 1904 to 1956, it was operated as an Anglican church, and now it is used as an Anglican Church. It was partially destroyed during the Incheon Landing Operation and was used as a Hwanghae Middle School until 1955.

▲ Daebul Hotel (101, Sinpo-ro 23beon-gil, Jung-gu, Incheon)


The first hotel in Korea was built in 1888 (the 25th year of King Gojong) by Hori, a Japanese.


Hotels began to appear in Korea in the 1880s when Westerners became frequent visitors.


Before the opening of the Gyeongin Line, foreigners who arrived in Incheon usually had to stay in Incheon for more than one day, so the first hotel in Korea was opened in Incheon.


According to a recent study, Hori started the hotel business in a two-story Japanese-style wooden building between the end of 1883 and early 1884, and moved to a new three-story brick building in 1888.


Although the Daebul Hotel had only 11 rooms, it was frequently used by foreigners. After the opening of the store, it was successful, but with the opening of the Gyeongin Railway in 1899, business became difficult.


On the other hand, since the hotel was introduced as the business place of the Incheon branch of a company that made alcohol in a factory located in Dowon-dong, in the 'Memories of Businessmen in Korea' published in 1907 and New Year's cards issued in 1909, the function of the Daebul Hotel has changed from the center of the accommodation function since then. It seems to have changed to a food center.


The hotel, which had been used as a Chinese restaurant, was demolished in 1978.


Currently, the Daebul Hotel Exhibition Hall is located on the site, where you can learn about the hotel's architectural style, hotel services, and the history of the Daebul Hotel.


In addition, the Incheon Open Port Museum exhibits 669 selected relics related to modern culture that were first introduced through Incheon during the port opening period or that occurred in Incheon.


The Incheon Open Port Museum was built in the Incheon Branch of the First Bank of Japan, built in 1899.
 

On the other hand, Incheon City Museum is continuously developing and presenting ‘Tabaktabak Incheon’, a walking tour program that seeks out cultural heritage and hidden historical paths throughout Incheon.


This is an opportunity to see and feel the cultural heritage with your own eyes, along with a professional explanation by the curator, and any Incheon citizen over the age of 20 can participate.


The walking tour program, which was conducted for citizens twice in the first half and second half of every year, will be expanded to public officials from this year.


In addition, the city of Incheon conducted the ‘Incheon Cultural Heritage Tour’ program for elementary and middle school students 10 times from September to November.
All.


This tour will be a vivid experience opportunity to rediscover the value of Incheon as a modern open port city and to feel the unique characteristics of Incheon based on its long history. You can take a look around with commentary by historical and geography experts.

ⓒ ebreaknews.com. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지
트위터 페이스북 카카오톡
닉네임 패스워드 도배방지 숫자 입력
내용
기사 내용과 관련이 없는 글, 욕설을 사용하는 등 타인의 명예를 훼손하는 글은 관리자에 의해 예고 없이 임의 삭제될 수 있으므로 주의하시기 바랍니다.
 
인천시, 시립박물관, 인천 근현대사,근현대 산업·문화유산, 도보 답사프로그램,과거 흔적 역 관련기사목록
광고
광고
광고
광고
광고
광고
광고
많이 본 뉴스
광고